Monday, October 5, 2009

BLUFFIN' WITH HER MUFFIN: I am not at all interested in Lady Gaga, which is not to say I dislike her. Actually, I think that if you're going to do that kind of spacey electronic stuff, you might as well dress up like some nutcase robot stripper. It seems to me that an artist can get lost in, or subverted by, that kind of music, and the antics are a way of countering that. Gaga makes it both easy to ignore her if she's not your cup of tea and easy to remember her if she is.

Still, via a retweet by Simmons today, I can't help thinking I'd be more likely to like pre-Gaga Gaga, a.k.a. Stefani Germanotta. The Janis-meets-Macy alt-R&B may not be my cup of tea, and threatens to dissolve into Spin Doctors jam extranea, but there are hooks, there is interaction with a live band, and there's a hint of the signature loopiness without the oversaturation that defines the Gaga personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment