Thursday, March 17, 2011

AND YET NOTRE DAME IS PLAYING TOMORROW:  I'm assuming the confluence of St. Patrick's Day and the start of the tournament today works out better today than last Tuesday's confluence of Mardi Gras and International Women's Day celebrants, or as Seth Meyers put it, "Show us your boobs, but only if you’re okay with that and if you’re not, we completely get it!”

As far as the tournament is concerned, I'm too far removed from active fandom to try to win any bracket via merit, so I'm totally pursuing the hedge fund strategy of gambling on a 2-4 seed to win it all. If I'm going to lose, I don't care how close I was.

added:  This Washington Post tournament database is the coolest timewaster of the day, other than watching the games.

8 comments:

  1. Today is also the confluence of St. Patrick's Day and the pre-Purim Fast of Esther, so that doesn't work out too well for Irish Jews.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bracket followed the FiveThirtyEight one (which basically follows the seedings) with one major exception--I picked Gonzaga to go to the Sweet Sixteen, given their propensity for First Round upsets and that BYU is playing shorthanded under its honor code.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph J. Finn10:23 AM

    I picked Gonzaga out of the first round, but given how they've disappointed me in years past (AMDG) I didn't have them going any further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genevieve11:25 AM

    I'm busy practicing my Purimspiel songs, including one about the fast that's to the tune of "Show Me" from My Fair Lady . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all chalk save for the East, where I went with UK over UW in the Elite Eight.  I also don't have trendy Utah State winning in a single bracket, because some of us tried to ride that train last year, only to see them get blown out by A&M.

    Happy St. Bracket's Day everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. isaac_spaceman12:21 PM

    UW is not going to lose to UK again.  They probably won't play again, but if they do, it's not going to happen.   

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meghan2:47 PM

    Michigan is dancing and in Charlotte!  This alumna is doing her best to get there.  Go Blue!

    Aside from this, I am not a fan of college basketball and pretty much hate the NCAA tournament's complete control over the XY member of my household.

    ReplyDelete
  8. St. Bracket's Day, tm CW.  Hereby stolen...

    ReplyDelete