Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I HAD A COWD IN MY NOSE: As someone who's finishing getting over a cold, as always, I must sing the praises of Vicks VapoRub as an easy and effective way of dealing with some of a cold's more sleep-depriving symptoms and helping clear up that congestion, but wanted to note two innovations in VapoRub technology--one praiseworthy and one utterly confusing:
  • VapoRub Cream--it's VapoRub, except rather than the stuff in the greasy Vasoline-like jar which sticks to sheets and clothing and is impossible to get off your hands, it's in a cream form that dissolves but still sends the vapors to clear the congestion.
  • VapoRub Lemon--It's the old gel VapoRub, except rather than smelling like VapoRub, it smells like lemons. Certainly, the VapoRub smell is "medicine-y" (for lack of a better term), but the pungent menthol odor is actually soothing and helps clear things out in a way that a scented product wouldn't.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the necessity of VapoRub to get through a cold, but hadn't heard about the Cream. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob in SA2:33 PM

    I'll be sure to let Granna know you are maintaining the family tradition for getting rid of colds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. calliekl4:54 PM

    A couple of weeks ago I had the flu from hell that made me have to cancel my vacation. The worst symptom is hacking coughing in the middle of the night. To counteract this, I was put on cough medicine with codiene.

    Funny story- a couple of nights ago, I ran out. And I thought, I should be ok, I haven't been sick for ages. Of course, I wake up hacking coughing in the middle of the night, out of a deep sleep. In a panic (because it kind of startled me, and because I didn't want to wake up the sleeping Mr. Liekl), I jumped out of bed, ran out the door, on the way to the hallway and the sink in the bathroom... and end up running into a wall... because I ran into my closet. And then I couldn't get out again, because I had shut the door behind me, and I couldn't find the door. Mr. Liekl had to rescue me.

    I got more cough meds in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:41 AM

    My father swore by Vicks so it reminds me of him. You can also use it daily on fungus-y toenails. The camphor and menthol will battle those bugs too.

    ReplyDelete