Wednesday, March 3, 2010

COFFEE IS MORE KING'S TURF: SI's Peter King reported on Monday:
On Friday night, the Saints' staff at the combine gathered in a private room at St. Elmo Steakhouse, an 108-year-old Indy landmark, for a final celebratory nod to the Super Bowl win over the Colts. This is a group that likes its wine, and likes to have fun.

At the restaurant, word passed that Dallas owner Jerry Jones would have his Dallas group in this exact room Saturday night for a team dinner. Jones had even phoned ahead, according to a waiter, to make sure a magnum of a wine he loved, Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, was ready to be served at dinner.

Sean Payton told the waiter he'd like to have that wine, too. The waiter told him: Sorry, sir. We have only one bottle left, and it's reserved for Mr. Jones.

Payton said he'd like to have the bottle nonetheless. I assume there was much angst on the part of the wait staff at that point. My God! Who do we piss off? One of the most powerful owners in the NFL, or the coach who's the toast of the NFL, the coach who just won the Super Bowl?

Here came the bottle of Caymus Special Selection, and the Saints' party drained it.
But drinking Jones' wine wasn't enough. Payton gave the waiter some instructions, took out his pen ... and, well, the Cowboys party found at the middle of their table the next evening an empty magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, with these words hand-written on the fancy label:

WHO DAT!
World Champions XLIV
Sean Payton


That's the kind of thing Jones will get a big laugh out of. And remember.
I tracked down our anonymous resident oenophile for an explanation of what I regarded as the critical question -- just how good of a wine was this?
It's often a very good wine, but sort of commodified and a super-not-original choice -- kind of like a somewhat-better Silver Oak. To me, Caymus wines (much like Silver Oak) in general often taste "overmade" -- there's too much manipulation to achieve a house "style" and year-to-year consistency in taste. It was a bigger name in the 1990s before the emergence of so many smaller boutique wineries making superior products at similar prices.

To me, the Special Selection is (much like, say, Opus One) one of the most over-priced wines on the American market, but that's not to say it isn't tasty -- it certainly is. And the vintage date might matter a bit to this story -- the 1994 and 2002 are both very highly regarded wines (I tried the 1994 back around the time we graduated, and although it was way too early to be drinking it, I wasn't choosing, buying or complaining -- very nice). More than anything, this is just the type of "reserve selection" I'd expect to see being ordered by the likes of Jerry Jones from the reserve wine list of an Indianapolis steakhouse.
To which Isaac noted, via email, that the last line was "gold-medal condescension if I've ever seen it ... dismissive of Jerry Jones, Indianapolis, and inexpert self-described oenophiles," and our friend responded:
All I mean is that, as a predictive matter, if you had said to me, "Jerry Jones walks into an Indianapolis steakhouse and orders a bottle of high-end wine... what does he order?" this would have been like my second guess.

8 comments:

  1. OMG. What happened to the usual commenting screen? I am so confused. Urgh.

    What would have been our anonymous oenophile's first guess? [Not being a big cab or merlot drinker, I don't have a great sense as to what would be a stereotypical pick for a steakhouse. I'm too busy pondering the Rhone wine section of the menu. I recognize that this bars me from being considered an oenophile by much of the wine-snob world, but eh. I like what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried to post a comment earlier, and got the "regular" blogger commenting thing.  So, if this ends up being repetitive, mea culpa.  What would have been the resident oenophile's first guess?  (As someone who doesn't drink a lot of cab or merlot, I'm not really reliable at guessing what the standard choices would be at a steakhouse.  I'm usually perusing the Rhone wines and recognizing that wine snobs would sneer at my lack of cab and merlot drinking but not really caring.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd be surprised at the wine-lists in flyover America.  When I had a case in the N.D. Okla., we'd eat at a Tulsa restaurant with a phenomenal wine list.  Though I somehow suspect that the Indianapolis steakhouse still missed the cut, but that's because it's "steakhouse with a private room" rather than because it's Indianapolis.

    Separately: http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/neil-patrick-harris-will-be-smurf/

    ReplyDelete
  4. First guess?  Mondavi Reserve, or the previously mentioned Opus.  I didn't know there was a resident oenophile; let me know if there's ever an opening. 

    Anyway, I love this story, not for the wine aspect, but because I love a good inter-franchise prank/taunt.  Sean Payton is rapidly becoming my favorite coach in pro sports.  That, and anything that makes Jerry Jones look like an ass is okay in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gretchen12:04 PM

    At 8.5 months pregnant, I really miss wine.  April will be a glorious month of wine, sushi, and unpasteurized cheese. 

    If you were the Indy steakhouse, wouldn't you be inclined to save the wine for the Cowboys, in retribution for the fact that the Saints beat your beloved Colts? 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha1:29 PM

    I'd be inclined to assume that the guys who just won the Super Bowl, and who were making the more audacious request, might be significantly better tippers in this situation than the guy who merely got a reasonable request accommodated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Pathetic Earthling1:53 PM

    Quite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn.2:54 PM

    There could have also promised a higher tip.  Sounds like a group of guys willing to kick in some cash to pull Jerry Jones' tail.

    ReplyDelete