Friday, May 14, 2010

BABY, WON'T YOU HELP ME UNDERSTAND: Idol judges' choice selections, spoiled via MJsBigBlog:

  • Ellen DeGeneres chose “Maybe I’m Amazed” by Paul McCartney for Crystal Bowersox
  • Simon Cowell chose “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen for Lee DeWyze
  • Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson chose “Daughters” by John Mayer for The Outlaw Casey James
How many times will that song appear in a Simon Cowell talent competition? Enough already. But Crystal's selection could prove awesome, and TOCJ has been handed a song that gives him the change to approach his "Jealous Guy" in terms of tone and musicianship.

As for what the performers should choose for themselves, I'm still working on that -- but you're likely already a few steps ahead of me.

4 comments:

  1. piledhighanddeep12:14 AM

    The MJ blog helpfully points out that....Simon Cowell OWNS the publishing rights to "Hallelujah." So that explains it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watchman3:57 PM

    In a quite different context the famed 19th century preacher Charles Spurgeon declared that ministers of his era had used some stories as illustrations so frequently that they deserved to be turned out to pasture like a horse that had past its prime. I'd like to nominate Hallelujah for the Idol pasture. It's been done both poorly and well and recently, and I don't want to hear it done there again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred App6:04 PM

    I'm all for retiring "Hallelujah." But as long as it's going to be in the mix, I think it would be a more interesting song for Crystal, and I'd like to see what Lee could do with "Maybe I'm Amazed."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genevieve10:36 AM

    Tim already murdered "Hallelujah" a scant few weeks ago. Seriously, they're doing the same song twice in one season?

    ReplyDelete