Tuesday, August 10, 2010

WE RAISE OUR GLASS -- YOU BET YOUR ASS: Our own Maret was at the much-hyped Neil Patrick Harris-directed, Vanessa Hudgens/Nicole Scherzinger/Wayne Brady-and-more starring production of Rent at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend, and files this report:
* * *
Last Friday I went with a friend to go see a production of RENT at the Hollywood Bowl, directed by ALOTT5MA fave Neil Patrick Harris. For those who aren’t familiar with the Bowl’s Broadway productions, every season they pick one show, and that show is put on for three performances. Casts range from theater legends to Hollywood celebs (I missed last year’s production of Guys & Dolls starring Bryan Stokes Mitchell, Jessica Biel and Scott Bakula but heard good things) and they get two weeks of rehearsal time. Because of the size and scope of the venue, the productions are staged, but not fully so – you end up with basically a staged concert performance of the show.

With RENT, a show I’ve seen many times, including one tour with NPH as Mark, and last year’s tour with original cast members Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal, I was excited and a little concerned about the Bowl production, as I didn’t want the celebrity performers to diminish a show I love. But I had faith in NPH, and as it turns out, while the show wasn’t a complete success, my faith did not go unwarranted. As outlined below, the cast had its strengths and weaknesses, but the strengths were far more plentiful. NPH chose to add an extra 10 performers or so to the ensemble because the size of the Bowl (seating capacity of over 17,000 and it was FULL last Friday) can call for that extra vocal power, and it was a good addition for this production. NPH’s significant other David Burtka was one of the ensemble, and did a lovely job with his solo in “Life Support.” There were a few technical issues, but I found out after the fact that this was not just opening night for this production, but it was actually the first time they had run through the entire show. Ultimately, while not the best RENT I’ve ever seen, it was a great experience – seeing shows at the Hollywood Bowl always feels unique and special; it’s one of my favorite things to do in L.A. -- and I was surprised and extremely impressed by a couple of the performers that I had my strongest doubts about. A quick review of each performer’s job below:

The Stand-Outs
Wayne Brady as Collins: I knew Brady could sing (or at least mimic) and was funny based on Who’s Line Is It Anyway and HIMYM, but I questioned whether he had the dramatic chops for Collins and he impressed from the start. He was charming, downplayed things rather than hamming them up and had chemistry with Telly Leung’s Angel, which frankly helped elevate Leung’s performance. And on the night I was there his vocals were spot on – his solo reprise of “I’ll Cover You” hushed & moved the audience as it should.



Nicole Scherzinger as Maureen: The performance of the night. Cast her on Broadway – in anything. I was mostly familiar with Scherzinger from her judging on The Sing-Off and was not impressed with that, and I’m not a Pussycat Dolls fan, so I went in with low expectations and she blew my mind. She hit every note and then some, and was funny as hell – she had us all in stitches during “Over the Moon” and if you ever wanted to hear 17,000 Angelenos moo, well, we all did so enthusiastically at the Bowl this weekend in response to Scherzinger’s great performance.

Tracie Thoms as Joanne: I thought she was great in the movie version and she was fabulous here –top notch as expected. Between her and Scherzinger and their vocal prowess, “Take Me or Leave Me” was the number of the night; no large ensemble number captivated the audience as much as these two did on their own.



Aaron Tviet as Roger: Tviet gave a strong, solid performance as Roger – not the best I’ve seen, but he may have been hampered by playing opposite an only adequate Mark and a lacking Mimi. I would have put him in the “They Pulled It Off” category, but had to bump him up simply for the hot factor – my friend and I couldn’t stop drooling at him on the jumbo-trons whenever the cameras focused on him. Yum.

They Pulled It Off
Skylar Astin as Mark: Not much I can say here. It’s hard, I’m sure, to measure up to the standards of NPH and Anthony Rapp, and Skylar didn’t measure up, but he did ok. To me he came off mostly nebbishy and less the sarcastic film nerd so while he was fine, he lacked the real charisma to stand out in numbers like “La Vie Boheme.”



Telly Leung as Angel: He was only ok, mostly due to outstanding chemistry with Wayne Brady. The vocals weren’t quite up to par, and he didn’t radiate that quality that so many Angels do, where you understand why they’re the member of the group that unites everyone.

They Missed the Mark
Vanessa Hudgens as Mimi: She did better in the second half, getting over some obvious nerves and doing nicely on some quieter duet moments. But she had several off-key moments, and lacked the dynamo presence Mimi needs – in “Light My Candle” it felt like a high school drama student was trying to pull off the role, and in “Out Tonight” she lacked the stand-out quality one needs for that song. I felt bad for her – she was clearly nervous and clearly overshadowed.

Collins Pennie as Benny: Yeah – he does not have the vocal chops for this musical or probably others. He never felt like a real threat as Benny, nor like any real competition for Roger. He was just sort of…there. He was less talented than Hudgens, but Mimi’s a WAY more crucial role to the show, so her performance felt like a bigger disappointment.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks, Adam, for letting me write about it for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. slowlylu1:51 AM

    Thanks Maret for sharing your insights. I am pale green with envy

    ReplyDelete
  3. spacewoman8:24 AM

    This is awesome.   I'm all kinds of jealous. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly, Tveit is the one with the most Broadway experience, having originated the part of the son in Next to Normal, and currently attached to the DiCaprio part in Catch Me If You Can (likely coming in this Spring, provided folks can extricate themselves from other commitments).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this. Completely jealous, but very glad someone was there to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Scherzinger comments are not so surprising -- her vocal coach is a friend of my husband's family and she was apparently amazing in college theater productions.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recap/review, and I'll say that I was surprised by the Scherzinger comments, as I despise the Pussycat Dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genevieve12:53 PM

    Thank you <span>so</span> much for the fun and thorough report, Maret!  So excited to read details about this show.  Add me to the list of those surprised by Scherzinger - I didn't know a thing about her before The Sing-Off and I really disliked her by the end - but now if she's in a show, I'll give it a look.
    I didn't expect Wayne Brady to be able to pull of Collins, so this is exciting to hear.  Good for him, and I hope he gets more theater work if he wants it.  Looking forward to watching the clips tonight.
    I was hoping Hudgens had more in her -- maybe after she gets over her opening night nerves, but with only two more performances, doesn't sound like it. 
    Maybe NPH will direct something on- or off-Broadway now?  That would be awesome.

    In other theater review news, if you don't mind, I saw the Bernadette Peters/Elaine Stritch A Little Night Music on B'way last week.  Oh. My. God.  Peters was absolutely stunning, and I can't express how glad I was to see her in this role.  Stritch was funny and highly enjoyable, though she had line-remembering issues.   

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie2:07 PM

    As annoying as the Pussycat Dolls are, Scherzinger actually proved to much funnier and goofier on her season of Dancing with the Stars than I would have expected.  Her success here does not surprise me at all - maybe it increases the likelihood that she'll use her talents for good rather than more Pussycat Doll albums. 

    Side note, while obviously better known as a member of PCD, she originally was in Eden's Crush - the group formed on one of my favorite (but little watched) reality talent competition shows - WB's Popstars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. isaac_spaceman2:57 PM

    Maggie's comment pushes the button that causes me to say that the recaps for Popstars on the early-era Television Without Pity (or MightyBigTV -- it may have been before the name change) were some of the funniest writing about television I can remember. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen Night Music, and really ought to--the CZJ "Send In The.........Clowns!  Where are the.........Clowns!" at the Tonys did not inspire confidence, however--glad to hear it's apparently in better hands now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Genevieve4:59 PM

    So, so, so much better hands, Matt.  To the nth of the nth degree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KarenNM5:39 PM

    Maret, thank you so much for the report!  I knew i wouldn't be able to get to LA for the performances but I was very curious as to how it all turned out.  It's fun to see so much of it online, and Take me or Leave Me was wonderful.  Count me in as another surprised new fan of Scherzinger.

    One thing i'm curious about - besides the casting choices, could you see NPH's hand anywhere in the production as a director?  I'm not sure what it would look like, but I was wondering if he would do anything to make it his own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maret6:00 PM

    Because NPH hasn't done much directing, he doesn't have enough of a signature "style" that makes this (or anything yet really) and NPH show from a directorial standpoint. It was clear someone with knowledge of the show and of the space was the director, but other than his boyfriend being in the cast and all the publicity, I wouldn't have known. We had hoped he would join the cast for a bow, but alas -- no sightings at all. SIGH. Thanks everyone for the compliments about the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad it wasn't just me that could not understand why people were raving and giving her the Tony. I HATED her song.

    ReplyDelete
  16. bella wilfer6:23 PM

    I was also there on Sat night and totally agree w/Maret's assessment.  Felt bad for V-Hudge for sure - she was trying her best but just doesn't (yet?) have the gravitas to pull off the role.  Her voice sounded lovely in the ballads, but she struggled with the more athletic/sexy numbers.  

    Wayne Brady and Nicole S ROCKED.

    All in all, though, i thought it was an odd choice to do at such a huge venue like the Bowl - you lost a lot of the little quiet moments or just lost a lot of the "aside" type moments in the larger group numbers - and there wasn't really a lot for NPH to put his own unique stamp on.  Still tons of love for NPH in general, but this show wasn't his finest moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pamela Ribon7:39 PM

    Hey, *I* wrote those recaps!  Thanks! 

    I still can't that woman without getting "Get Over Yourself" stuck in my head... once again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!  Pamie!  And yes, "Get Over Yourself" is pretty much perfect pop catnip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marnie10:32 PM

    Just want to chime in to say thank you for the thorough review Maret.  

    ReplyDelete