Saturday, January 9, 2010

5 = ZERO: As I said the last time I did one of these, "I don't mind losing to another good football team on the road, but I mind losing like this." This was a game in which the Eagles never seemed competitive, and as such The Stages of Eagles Grief must be processed in order:
Denial: Seven days ago this team was on the verge of a first-round bye; now, it's over and Mark Sanchez is still playing? Really? The Andy Reid Never Loses His Playoff Opener Streak was just a statistical improbability and not a guarantee of future results?

Bargaining: We missed starting middle linebacker Stewart Bradley all season. Brian Westbrook was never fully back after his concussions, and as such neither was the rushing game. Maybe we just needed an Andrews brother on the offensive line, while DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin just keep improving. With just a few tweaks, this team isn't that far away from where it needs to be. And we always knew this team wasn't quite as good as its potential playoff seeding suggested, that its grade was artificially inflated by having not played Dallas a second time yet.

Anger: And yet, it is so far away. Andy Reid still doesn't know how to do clock management, and couldn't figure out how to repeat last week's failure against Dallas this week. Once again, Donovan McNabb came up small in a playoff game, and it's infuriating. This team did nothing well against Dallas, in two straight weeks. Dallas. Ack. FAIL.

Despair: Having cast its lot with Andy Reid's contract extension through 2013, the big remaining question is whether Donovan McNabb returns at quarterback next year. There is no easy answer, and it may well be that McNabb is simultaneously the best answer among the viable alternatives and an insufficient one to lead this team to the championship we crave. This is a team that certainly may be good enough to go 10-6 next year (but, oy, that home out-of-division schedule), but not 12-4 or better, not en route to a championship team from where we sit now.

What follows is a cold winter for those Philadelphia sports fans like me who lack interest in ice hockey or the time to follow Villanova (or Temple) basketball, and a long thirty-nine days until Roy Halladay reports in uniform with his fellow pitchers and catchers in Clearwater.

Acceptance: Come again? Oh, yeah. The Phillies. The 2008 World Champion, 2009 National League Champion Philadelphia Phillies. That which leavens everything else sports-related which seems painful. This is no longer a city which lives and dies based on the green and white; it is on Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Shane Victorino, Jimmy Rollins and the rest that our hopes reside. And Roy Halladay. Tonight's loss doesn't hurt as much as it would have a few years ago, because we've known the most likely path to a parade starts on the other side of Pattison Avenue. Spring is coming, sooner than you think.

18 comments:

  1. Eric J11:49 PM

    How about a straight-up trade of Donovan McNabb for Jason Campbell? I think they're both viable QBs who need a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No.  But if the Bears are tired of Jay Cutler ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmichael Harold11:56 PM

    Eric J, I'd prefer Kolb to Campbell, not because I think Campbell is bad, but because I think Kolb is capable and knows well an offense that can be difficult for even receivers to learn.  I'll miss Donovan, I'll treasure his time with the Eagles, but I think it's time for him to go, as much for him as for the team or its fans.

    As to the team, I'd very much like us to bring a new safety or two on board, as I'd prefer to never have to see Macho Harris wearing green ever again (not even for the Jets, or as Santa's helper in the mall before Christmas).  I'd sum up my views on him with the words posted by someone igglesblog.com when Harris got hurt early in the game, "can the Cowboys afford an injury to Harris?"

    We could also use another LB (in addition to Bradley), and a couple of o-linemen that can be relied upon (i.e., not named "Andrews").  And. . .ah, screw it.  I can't think about next season yet, this game was too brutal, made worse by the realization that I'm going to have to root for Brett Favre next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case anyone wondered, there was no Stages of Grief after the Arizona loss; those whole playoffs were a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam C.1:17 AM

    That would be an Eagles jersey I'd buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam C.1:23 AM

    That was just awful.  So awful that, since I was watching at a friend's house, we instead spent most of the 4th quarter (and beyond) playing Beatles Rock Band.  Which. Is. Awesome.  That washed away this football season for me right there -- if I'm getting no Steelers repeat, and no Eagles playoff win, then dammit, I'm gonna kick ass on vocals and guitar for "And Your Bird Can Sing."

    Also, so the resounding Dallas win shouldn't be a total disaster, I had Romo, Austin and "Sweetums" in the ALOTT5MA challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmichael Harold10:22 AM

    I think Cutler on the Eagles would be a disaster ("They're not saying 'Boo', they're saying '@#$# You'), but I'm not too worried about it happening as Reid is concerned about (and coaches QBs against) INTs as much as anyone in the league.

    ReplyDelete
  8. spacewoman12:00 PM

    Huh.  I certainly don't think McNabb is the problem. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Benner2:37 PM

    I think you quietly shop McNabb and go with Kolb if there's a team with sufficient interest but unless there's a team willing to give up a first rounder and a second rounder, you go with D-Mac again.  

    And the awfulness of the secondary should be addressed in the denial, bargaining, anger, and despair phases.  F--k the acceptance phase.  I want a Superbowl.  Winning the world series was better than the USFL championship back in 1985, but the idea that Philadelphia is now a baseball city feels wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carmichael Harold2:55 PM

    Spacewoman, I don't think McNabb is the problem either, but I do think that with ever year that passes he is much less able to be the franchise. I think if the Eagles are going to have a quasi-rebuilding year, it should be next year, and it would be the right time to get the younger QB in there. 

    I care much more about the holes at safety, guard, OLB and LDE than I do about whatever deficiencies McNabb has (his 10 quarters of happy feet/inaccuracy every season, his susceptibility to injury, his patented sack/fumble move), but if McNabb's value can help you fill some of those holes, then it's not a bad time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Disillusioned Philly fans, There's always room on the bandwagon of "the other green and white team" . :) Go Jets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. calliekl7:50 AM

    You want to talk pain? How about 3 turnovers and 24 points in the first quarter? Ladies and gentlemen, your NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS. 

    Guess I'll have to focus my attentions on the Bruins (oh, that's right, Marc Savard is out for the next several weeks)... or the Celtics (oh wait, how's Kevin Garnett's knee?)... guess I'll have to wait for baseball season...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can we teach Asante how to tackle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. bad dad9:41 AM

    Could be worse. I'm looking at a spring without the Wings OR Pistons in the playoffs for the first time in 20-25 years or so. Wings have the longest pro sports playoff streak going right now. If they finish 9th in the West, I'll be inconsolable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least y'all are not Washington sports fans.  1) worst record in baseball; 2) the debacle that was this season's Washington Redskins; and 3) apparently the Wizards locker room resembles the OK Corral.  It's so bad I'm almost trying to convince myself to care about hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a Bears fan, y'all can...well...I'm not going to say it. (Can we have Orton and our two draft picks back, please?)

    acf, you should try to care out hockey; the Capitals are excellent this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. isaac_spaceman12:22 PM

    ACF -- did they throw guns at each other at the OK Corral?  I more associate that with Police Squad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carmichael Harold12:34 PM

    Probably not, though I'd settle for teaching him not to jump routes on plays when he has no help over the top.

    ReplyDelete