Friday, January 8, 2010

SIMON AND I ARE AS CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS AS EVERYONE ELSE: Another year, another new Idol judge. Ellen DeGeneres talks to the WSJ:
The Wall Street Journal: What are you doing to prepare for your now role as a judge on "American Idol"?

Ellen DeGeneres: I'm starting to criticize everyone I see, no matter what. I'm like, you thought that was a good outfit to wear? I just start criticizing people. But really, I'm trying not to think about it too much… I don't want to be influenced by anyone thinking I have to be different. I'm going to be myself and I'm going to be brutally honest in a kind way, I hope… Whatever comes out of my mouth will be a surprise to me and you.

WSJ: Paula Abdul was known as the nurturing judge. Do you think you'll be a similar type of judge?

Ms. DeGeneres: I don't know if I'll be as nurturing as she is. She always found a positive thing to say instead of attacking. I'll probably try to be somewhat encouraging. Just because in standup [comedy] there's no where to hide. When you're in a band, you've got the guitar player you can turn to but when you're by yourself on stage I know what that feels like and I know it doesn't feel good, especially with millions of people watching. But I'll be honest. I don't think it helps anybody to be encouraged and not told the truth.

DeGeneres won't be in the audition episodes, which begin next Tuesday, January 12. We'll see her for the first time when we get to Hollywood, Baby.

4 comments:

  1. My understanding is that there are guest judges for the audition episodes.  Some were decidedly meh (Victoria Beckham? Really?) while others will generate some enthusiasm around here (NPH! Kristin Chenoweth!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not an AI fan, but with Ellen and NPH, I just might watch.  Mission accomplished, AI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn.1:09 PM

    Yup.  I wasn't going to watch the auditions, but then I remembered NPH and Kristin C., so I'll probably at least watch those episodes.  Otherwise, I'll definitely be joining up for Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, Victoria Beckham is a GREAT judge. She was really funny and smart on Project Runway and don't forget, she was a Spice Girl!

    ReplyDelete