Tuesday, September 21, 2010

OR AT LEAST THE SUBSET OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC THAT HAS NIELSEN BOXES HOOKED TO THEIR TV'S: So, based on last night's ratings, we can state there are things that the American public does and does not like.
  • Does like--Third tier celebrities dancing, things exploding in Hawaii, being told that something is imminent and important, but not being told what exactly it is, Chuck Lorre comedies.
  • Does not like--morally ambiguous con men backed by indie folk-rock, overly attractive U.S. Marshals running around.
For what it's worth, I really admired the craft and performances of Lone Star, but can see how it might not be a big hit--it's very morose and indie-film/cable-y--I'll watch the few episodes before Fox pulls it and replaces with whatever else it's got in the queue or dumps it off to FX. It's also not terribly compatible with House, or at least what that show has become as it's abandoned making House a morally ambiguous protagonist. I do hope Fox does have the decency to formally let the creators know that the show's toast so they can bring things to a satisfying conclusion.

On the other hand, Hawaii Five-0, I get completely why it's a success--completely in CBS's wheelhouse, and 3 of the 4 principals are likable and funny--in particular, it's nice to see Daniel Dae Kim getting to be lighthearted and verbal rather than morose and silent. Like NCIS: LA, it's a success in spite of something of a charisma vacuum in the lead. Not as much fun as Castle is, but a solid procedural, and as the cast and writers finds the show's rhythm, I expect the show will only get better, as NCIS: LA did over the course of its first year.

19 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Lone Star as well. It would be great if it could at least move to FX and get a 13-episode run or however many episodes are needed for the creators to tell the story from beginning to end the way they envisioned it. As good as the pilot was, I agreed with the general critical consensus that it might be a show best suited for a relatively short run anyway. I wasn't sure how they could keep that plot going effectively for dozens of epsiodes. And the show seemed to have more of a cable feel to it.

    Of course, the ratings were so bad that I wonder if it even got enough viewers to support a move to FX. How many viewers does a typical FX or USA series generally get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam C.12:14 PM

    I'll try to catch Lone Star (when I write that, I can't help but hear in my head Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet) from Hulu.  I watched The Event last night and it was not terrible, but not yet good.  Like I said yesterday, the leash will be short, but I'll give it another episode or two to see what direction they take the story from the (actually somewhat surprising) ending.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph J. Finn12:20 PM

    Ah, so we're getting Angel-style Daniel Dae Kim. Exxxxcellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does like-- ... Chuck Lorre comedies.
    The American public has much to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isaac_spaceman1:04 PM

    Me, I liked Harry Dean Stanton on Chuck, much more than I liked Dolph Lundgren or the weird pacing. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joseph J. Finn1:05 PM

    Now now, he did create Big Bang Theory.  So he's 1.5 for 5 (I'm giving him a half point, combined, for Christine Baranski and Grace Under Fire).

    ReplyDelete
  7. bella wilfer1:22 PM

    Lone Star is great, but agree why it might not find its audience.  Maybe a slim chance a cabler picks it up?

    Hawaii 5-0 is lots of fun. Love Scott Caan!  And obviously Jin and Boomer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll also give him half a star for the parts of Dharma and Greg that worked (mostly Susan Sullivan, but sometimes Jenna Elfman as well).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joseph J. Finn1:55 PM

    OK, I'll go along with the Susan Sullivan part.  Maybe even a bit more for the Mitch Ryan/Alan Rachins interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan Suitor1:56 PM

    But you can take away .5 of that for the times early in the show's run (and now even) when the joke is ON the characters, not with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pacing was very weird, but I enjoyed the cheesy "Rocky IV" lines and having the gang back together.

    "Gossip Girl" was also pretty decent last night, much to my chagrin, as I really would love to drop it from the rotation.  I honestly think half the reason I watch is to be prepared for New York Magazine's reality vs. fake recap every Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. bella wilfer2:54 PM

    My friend Chris does the real v. fake recaps and I forward them to everyone I know.  Glad you're a fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joseph J. Finn4:08 PM

    For BBT?  Agreed, but mostly because I had a weird loathing for that first season when Penny was, to be clear, a moron.  Once they fixed that and changed her from stupid to simply non-versed in their world, I was much more on board.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the smartening of Penny has helped a lot.  Now, they just need to round out Wolowitz a bit more--he's one note, particularly in any plot involving his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. calliekl6:48 PM

    I found him to be a lot less one-note last season... much more making fun of Sheldon, less pervy grossness. I no longer look at him and think he probably smells like dirty laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maddy6:56 PM

    Harry Dean Stanton was the repo man, right?  Definitely my favorite part of the episode.

    I just watched Lone Star on hulu.  Not sure I'm going to keep watching because I'm super busy (college is hard... who would have thought?  Also there are foam parties and other such things to go to), but I apprciated all of the Mumford & Sons goodness (plus José González and that song by The Antlers that was also on Chuck.)  Actually, the first time I heard "The Cave" by Mumford & Sons I was sure it would show up during an episode-ending montage on Chuck, but this was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Lone Star, but I only watched it because it got such high marks from Alan Sepinwall. Based on the way it was marketed -- as a con-man show about oil leases -- I'm surprised anyone watched. If it had been called what it seems like -- "Dallas" re-set in Houston -- I think it would have had a much easier time attracting viewers.

    Here's hoping for some word of mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's a good essay on this issue courtesy of NPR Monkey See.

    ReplyDelete
  19. chuckie1:58 PM

    I won't mind Lone Star disappearing if only so'll that I'll never have to hear or read the phrase "long con" ever again.

    ReplyDelete