Tuesday, January 19, 2010

THIS WEEK IN CHUCK AND MUSIC: The music of the band Spoon was prominently featured (twice, I believe) on Josh Schwartz's The O.C., so it isn't any surprise to see them turn up twice on last night's Chuck. What was nice was that the show managed to feature a song, "Got Nuffin," on an album, Transference, set to be released the following day. Through the magic of time zones, I downloaded it last night (verdict: if you like Spoon, you'll like it; if you don't, it won't change your mind). So the show benefited from the song, and the band benefited from the placement on the show. Isn't that exactly how this is supposed to work?

Also, though Alan didn't like it, I thought Captain Awesome's bumbling lie about his disappearance was funny, in part because we weren't required to believe that Ellie bought it.

3 comments:

  1. Ack.  I didn't think that Spoon's new CD came out until next week.  Will have to download when I get home.

    January is known as a bad month for CD sales, but you do get a number of more indie bands releasing in January.  I've already gotten Vampire Weekend and Laura Veirs this month, and if all of my CD purchases this year make me as happy as those do, I will be a very satisfied music consumer in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie1:11 PM

    I didn't realize Spoon was coming out today - I bought the song off the EP, which means no "complete my album" discount when I buy the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Tabachneck2:05 PM

    The first pang of love I felt for Chuck came in the pilot, when "Don't Make Me A Target" was part of the score.  I'll be grabbing that album when I get home.

    ReplyDelete