Tuesday, November 18, 2014

THE ANSWER IS "NO":  Sure, it was quite overplayed, but Magic's "Rude" is a terrific little tune - with the added advantage that unlike so much of pop song-writing these days, it has a little story buried within.  It's inspired many terrific covers -- I think Walk Off the Earth's is by far superior to the original -- and is deserving of a long life as a bit of the Anglo-Australia-American-Canadian pop songbook.

But I am trying to understand how anyone thinks that it mixes at all well as a dance tune.  I don't think Jim Croce's Operator would work as a roof-raising club anthem, nor Don McLean's Vincent, nor Jimmy Buffett's Miss You So Badly.  I know I'm not the intended audience, but this is a little incongruous, no?


5 comments:

  1. bill.9:43 PM

    I think that's just a bad remix. It's danceable as is and shouldn't be as difficult to mix as something like Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner."

    ReplyDelete
  2. bellawilfer1:15 PM

    Unrelated to remixing, Rude is totally sing-along-able until you listen to the lyrics. WHAT IF THAT GIRL DOESN'T WANT TO MARRY YOU, DUDE?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha1:28 PM

    I never got the impression that she didn't want to marry him, only that her daddy doesn't like him. (Of course, we only get his side of the story.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bellawilfer1:31 PM

    I would be way more into the song if there were any mention of how she's totally down to get married too and this isn't just one dude claiming possession of a woman from another dude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam C.3:46 PM

    Dude.

    ReplyDelete