Monday, February 9, 2009

KRISTEN AND THE NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME PLAYETTES: There was a pretty bad SNL this weekend -- Bradley Cooper is not funny; he looks uncomfortably angry at all times -- and almost as soon as it started, I could not get my mind off a single question: Has any SNL performer ever dominated the show as much as Kristen Wiig does this season? I happen to agree with the writers that Wiig is the best thing about the cast right now, and her Bjork (Iceland tourism jingle: "There is no sun/You are on fire/Demons take your face/Come to Iceland!") was the highlight last night. Still, it can't be good for the show to rely so much on one performer. She was the featured player in all but one sketch through the news, and she does something like 80% of the recurring characters the show has right now. She's going to get burned out or the audience will get used to her, and then what? (My solution, which I understand is a tiny minority view: more Will Forte, especially after the news).

Incidentally, I owe an apology to Seth Myers, whom I think I once called an even unfunnier Jimmy Fallon. He's grown on me, and his Michael Phelps "Really?" was very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment